24 May Paint products we like and recommend
We have used some excellent paint products over the years. However the top coat of paint is only as good as the primer or undercoat applied underneath. Some paints are self priming but in this example we look at a primer that’s excellent for surfaces that are difficult to adhere to.
B.I.N. Primer Sealer is supplied by Zinsser paint company.
B.I.N. is a methylated spirits based paint that is very quick to work with.
PROS AND CONS USING B.I.N. PRIMER
- Very fast drying
- You can quickly build up multiple coats
- B.I.N. adheres to just about anything
- It blocks stains
- The paint finish is very smooth
- It gives tough durable finish ready to apply finish coats
- You need to work quickly
- B.I.N. has a very strong odour in confined spaces
- It is very thin so you need to be careful of splashes
- If spilled you need to act immediately to remove
PROJECT – PAINTING LAMINEX CABINET
A laminated entertainment unit needed a face lift or replacing. The cheapest fix would be to paint another colour.
PROCEDURE TO PAINT LAMINATED CABINET.
- Quickly sand and then clean laminate with methylated spirits
- Coat all areas with B.I.N. primer using foam roller
- Finish with 2 coats of low sheen water based paint
MORE DETAIL FOR PAINTING LAMINATE
Zinsser B.I.N. primer dries very fast so it can be re coated in 15 minutes subject to drying conditions. A foam roller gives the best painted finish with a brush to cut in anything the roller can’t get to. Therefore it is easy to get a smooth finish with B.I.N. The primer paint goes hard quickly. Primed areas can be top coated with water base paint or solvent oil base enamel. We chose a single pack low sheen water based urethane paint to give a matte finish. This dries quickly and goes hard within 24 hours. The water base paint finish is very durable and looks better than gloss. This is because the matte finish also helps hide any painting imperfections, therefore giving an excellent result.